LABOR CATEGORY: EN2/3ETS
AEYON POSITION TITLE: Contamination Control Engineer
LOCATION: Houston, Texas
Are you enthusiastic about human space exploration, understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a passionate and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration.
We are looking for a Contamination Control Engineer to join our team! Do you have the following skills?
The Contamination Control Engineer will:
- Manage, lead, and implement quality and contamination control requirements and standards as they apply to NASA's Astro materials Research and Exploration Science (ARES) Division facilities and infrastructure at the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center (JSC) in Houston, TX.
- Interface with NASA Contamination Control Officer for ARES.
- Be the point of contact between customer/stakeholders for any/all implementation of quality and contamination control issues.
- Maintain the cleanliness standards and pristine nature of NASA's Astro materials curation facilities that handle and store all extraterrestrial samples returned to Earth for scientific study by verifying quality data and making recommendations for any required corrective actions.
- Implement ISO, ASTM, SEMI, IEST, and other standards and recommended practices through a systems engineering approach to ARES infrastructure in direct collaboration with the facility engineers, laboratory leads, and other stakeholders.
- Manage and lead personnel training related to quality and contamination control: including laboratory, cleanroom, and isolator/glovebox operations, monitoring, housekeeping, and precision cleaning.
- Review remote monitoring data and results to determine the health of infrastructure systems including research laboratories, ISO class 4 to 8 cleanrooms, inert gas isolators/gloveboxes, ultrapure water systems, and ultra-high purity gaseous nitrogen system. Make recommendations for any required corrective actions.
- Generate monthly and annual audits and reports on the health of all infrastructure systems to meet scientific cleanliness requirements.
- Conduct sampling and generate reports related to cleanroom and isolator/glovebox inorganic, organic, and biological molecular airborne and surface contamination, and seal/leak integrity.
- Conduct walkthroughs with the facility infrastructure team. Investigate, review, and troubleshoot all quality and contamination control facility issues, system anomalies, and material restrictions.
- Work closely with the chief facility engineer on reviewing material submittals for new construction and facility
modifications. Research and investigate new construction materials that meet low to zero particulate shedding and outgassing characteristics that enable pristine environments for Astro material sample storage and handling.
- Maintain a list of preferred and restricted materials for entry, construction, and maintenance of research and
Astro material curation laboratories.
- Help translate sample science and mission requirements into engineering requirements for contamination control of the labs and processes, reconcile standards and requirements, and help research and develop applicable standards from government, academia, and industry that meet or exceed the science requirements.
- Advance and develop new types of analyses, monitoring, and witness plate assay strategies and make recommendations for improving the facility and infrastructure monitoring and system procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position. - Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
Requires at least a BS degree from an accredited school and five (5) years of related experience, or an MS degree from an accredited school and four (4) years of related experience
Preferred candidates will have an M.A./Ph.D. in Materials Engineering that focuses on semiconductor/nanotechnology contamination control; or a degree in Geochemistry, Chemistry, or Industrial Hygiene with cleanroom experience in semiconductor/nanotechnology contamination control and/or clean semiconductor, pharmaceutical, or aerospace processing, quality, and contamination control
Must have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Prior experience in quality and contamination control of < ISO Class 5 cleanrooms and precision cleaning
- Proven experience implementing quality and contamination control procedures and standards
- Previous experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment
- Preference will go to those candidates with experience working at NASA and NASA regulations
- Preferred candidates will have experience with at least one or more of the following:
- Cross-contamination migration and flow modeling and applied mathematical statistics in contamination models
- Cleanrooms operations and Monitoring Systems
- ISO 14644 Cleanroom Standards and IEST recommended practices for cleanrooms
- Precision cleaning tools and hardware to IEST-STD-CC1256E standards [Level 50 for particulates]
- Ultra-high purity inert gaseous pressure systems
- Ultra-high purity gas purged isolators, gloveboxes, chambers, and desiccators
In addition to exciting career opportunities, we also have:
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
- Onsite cafeteria (breakfast & lunch)
- Much, much more!
For more information on our partnership with NASA at Johnson Space Center (JSC), please visit
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
“Aeyon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Aeyon is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Aeyon are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social, or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental, or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Aeyon will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on these characteristics.”